Most of the time, during our weight loss journey, we end up losing track at some point, and this can be due to several reasons.
Some of these could be:
- Weight not coming off as fast as you want
- Just came back from the holidays
- Busy schedule
Whatever reasons there are, an emotional eater would always see the smallest things and then lose track of all the motivation they’ve got.
The thing is, don’t be so hard on yourself. Make your meals healthy and planned. You can’t just binge on anything you see on your fridge or just because you are craving it at the moment.
Here’s what you can do to keep your motivation high.
- Find A Non-Food Hobby That Can Comfort You As Much As Food Would. There are lots of things under the sun. Genealogy, art, crafts, blogging, knitting, fitness, running, and others are all great activities that can keep you busy. Do not resort to TV or films as staying in front of the TV can cause you to eat more and you are not being mindful of what and how much you are eating.
- Join An Online Support Group. It’s good to have a weekly face to face meeting with people to keep your motivations on track. However, not everyone has the luxury of time to meet in person, so it’s nice to have an online support group, so you keep posted all the time. On Facebook, there are a lot of social groups you can join that you are most freely welcome. People there encourage, have fun, and share something that could help you out. You may also set up an Instagram account where you can post your food and connect with other slimmers. Another best option is to start a weight loss blog not just to help you keep track but to inspire others as well.
- Keep A Food Diary. Everyone is advised to do this. Keep a food diary, so you do not forget what you have eaten throughout the day. You can try an online food journal just like the one in the Slimming World Website or make use of a pretty notebook you can find at any store. There are also a lot of customizable journals out there. You can try the Happy Planner Journal since it’s nice and can keep you motivated. Erin Condren journals are also very nice and pretty. You can add up some stickers and photos. It’s kind of a scrapbooking, so it’s really fun and creative. You can purchase some Fitness Stickers and there also other available Happy Planner and Erin Condren printables on the internet that you can try out.
- Preparing Meals. One reason that you fall off track of your weight loss journey is that you fail to have your meals planned ahead. In that case, you grab on anything that you can find and indulge in those unhealthy treats that you shouldn’t be eating. Spare some time to cook real meals with something that you can find on your fridge. You can look up for some recipes online like the Freezer Friendly and Soup Recipes. However, if you do like to snack, try the healthy snack recipes you can see online like the Low Syn or Syn Free Snacks.
- Exercise. When we think about exercise, we often think of strenuous workouts, and that alone can demotivate you, right? Well, it shouldn’t be. Exercise does not necessarily mean hitting off the gym. Any physical work that can sweat you up and keep your muscles working is an exercise. You may walk or try running with a friend every day, so you don’t get bored. A fitness band would also be a great idea. There are many versions of it, from cheap to more expensive ones depending on its features. Why fitness bands are great is that because you are set with daily goals and accomplishing tasks, one step at a time makes you want to accomplish more. You can start with a few walks around the house and then level up to walking around 5k then running for longer distances. You can also find help with exercise videos where you can work out at the comfort of your own home. If working at your home does not sound great to you, join some fitness class as group activities are also very appealing and motivating. Zumba, for example, is a fun workout and you and you wouldn’t notice how fast 40 mins – 1-hour pass by. Remember that when it comes to fitness, make sure that it is something you can maintain. Whether it be going to the gym or swimming, work out on something that fits you, and you can surely keep up.
- Meal Plan. If at some point you have lost your fitness plan due to health or the holidays, you can always go back in track. Holidays can ruin your meal plans as you get to it what are readily served and it would probably last for another couple of days. Various delicious slimming meal plans cater to what you need the most.
- Avoid Unhealthy Snacks. This could actually be a bit challenging as it’s really hard to let go of those snacks you can easily grab onto. But as much as possible, don’t indulge in them too much. One crisp or treat will do, but it is recommended that you buy the individually wrapped ones than those coming in large sizes so you will not open another treat. You will be tempted to grab from an opened bag of crisps, so avoid doing so. Instead of those unhealthy, wrapped sweets, fill your bowls with fresh fruits or vegetable salad.
- Use Your Syns And Healthy Extras. People often get rid of some syns in their diet just to maintain their weight loss journey. Syns and other healthy extras are okay to be used, and you won’t go wrong with them. Syns may not be necessary for snacks alone, but you can always add it to syn free food like some maple syrup in your oatmeal or a bit of olive oil in your dish.
- Speed Foods. Speed foods allow us to eat unlimited and naturally from a free food list which naturally controls portions without the struggle of weighing down food calories. Make sure that at least ⅓ of your plate contains speed foods. This type of food is high satiety, nutrient-dense, and lower in calories which bulks you up and keeps you from feeling hungry. A full plate may look like much but having ⅓ of it with speed foods, you will not gain weight but rather see it come off. Do not, however, restrict yourself with diet too much. If you starve yourself and opt for smaller meals(without speed foods as well), you are more likely to get hungry and again resort to foods that you shouldn’t be eating.
- A Lifelong Journey. Remember that fitness is a lifelong journey. It is not an overnight surprise. Instead of restricting yourself, embrace all free foods you can have but go into healthier versions of your meals.
Just a friendly reminder, here are the 10 tips:
- Non-Food Hobby
- Support Group
- Food Diary
- Meal Prep
- Exercise Body Magic
- Meal Planning
- Avoid Unhealthy Snacks
- Use Syns And Healthy Extras
- Benefit Of Speed Foods
- A Lifelong Journey